Be an Industry Leader: Earn Your APRBack to News
Internationally recognized, the Accreditation in Public Relations (APR) integrates timeless communications principles with contemporary strategies and tactics. The process of earning your APR takes your skills to the next level by exposing you to today's cutting-edge strategies and practices, assessing your skills to identify strengths and opportunities for growth, and demonstrating your personal and professional commitment to excellence.
Pursuing the APR gives you direct access to top public relations leaders--APR holders who will guide you through the process of achieving Accreditation--and provides the tools you need to distinguish yourself as a top practitioner in the public relations field.
The Maine Public Relations Council is proud to be part of the Universal Accreditation Board (UAB), which oversees the APR designation. Established in 1964, the UAB is comprised of organizations from across the country that share a common bond: sustaining the future of our industry, promoting the highest quality practitioners and of supporting our members.
THE PROCESS TOWARD APR INCLUDES:
1. Determining Eligibility (must be a member in good standing of MPRC or another UAB organization member)
- Complete eligibility form and submit to UAB with payment
- Receive notice of eligibility to continue with APR process
2. Determining Areas for Study
3. Determine project to showcase depth and breadth of knowledge
- Craft case study (as part of Panel Presentation process)
- Prepare portfolio of project
4. Schedule a Panel Presentation
5. Study (check out this Free Study Guide)
6. Schedule Exam (must be within year of receiving notice of eligibility)
The costs to become accredited and maintain accreditation are as follows:
- $25 Fee to Apply for Eligibility - DUE when you apply
- $75 Fee to MPRC for your Panel Presentation - DUE when you schedule your Panel Presentation
- $385 Fee to sit for the Exam - DUE when you schedule the exam
- $50 Fee to Maintain Your APR - DUE three years from when you pass your exam
- $195 for Online Study Course
- Various costs for other books and subscriptions
The Maine Public Relations Council provides various opportunities to learn more about APR. Look for sessions throughout the year, generally the winter, spring and fall of every year, for events specific to APR and networking with other APRs. Please see our regular newsletter for announcements and details.
For more information about the process and to get started, please contact APR Co-Chairs:
Patricia Erikson, APR
Shane Perry, APR